R-514A Refrigerant Gas Added to Bacharach’s NDIR Sensor Products
As chiller applications in the refrigeration industry require refrigerants with low global warming potential (GWP), Bacharach Inc. adds R-514A to its gas library of detectable refrigerants. The Non-Dispersive Infrared (NDIR) technology of Bacharach enables its instrumentation to measure levels as low as 1 ppm of refrigerant while keeping high accuracy and making early detection of refrigerant leaks.
Bacharach’s Product Manager for Fixed Instruments Tom Burnistin said, “The calibration curve for R-514A has now been added into the software for our multi-zone and single-zone continuous refrigerant monitors as well as our portable spot leak detection devices. Our proprietary sensor technology allows us to create these curves quickly to keep up with the development of new and better refrigerants. This enables the precise measurements of all refrigerants, including the new products like R-514A to maintain the high standards expected from Bacharach’s market leading sensor technology. Bacharach’s NDIR sensors allow for fast response times, long sensor life, high accuracy, repeatability, minimal maintenance, and no cross sensitivity.”
An article posted by Achrnews.com gave details relevant to R-514A to further inform the public about it. Here are some of the helpful information about the said refrigerant as written in the article:
- R-514A is a refrigerant with a very low-GWP of under 2 and is used in place of R123 in centrifugal chiller applications. It is a mix of 74.7 percent hydro fluoro-olefin (HFO) 1336mzz(Z) and trans-1,2-dischloroethene (25.3 percent).
- R-514A is classified by ASHRAE as a “B1” refrigerant which means that it is not flammables but is considered having higher toxicity with an occupational exposure limit (OEL) of 323 ppm. This emphasizes the need for detecting refrigerant leaks early to prevent harmful consequences and maintain refrigeration system efficiencies.
Also, the article presented various information on the Bacharach products that accept the new R514A refrigerant such as the following:
- HGM-MZ – Fixed leak monitor for a maximum of 16 locations that determines refrigerant levels as low as 1 ppm. There are also various configurations available to manage CO2 and NH3.
- HGM-SZ – Fixed leak monitor for a single area to identify and measure chlorofluorocarbon (CFC), hydrofluorocarbon (HFC), and hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC), leaks down to 1 ppm. Configurations to monitor CO2 and NH3 are also available.
- PGM-IR – Portable leak monitor for halogenated refrigerants or CO2. It is unaffected by variations in temperature and humidity and determines limits as low as 1 ppm to allow fast and comprehensive inspections and leak surveys.
- H25-IR – Industrial grade leak analyzer for white goods manufacturing and disregards the need for a calibrated reference leak source while detecting CFC, HFC, and HCFC refrigerants down to 0.03 oz per year.
Bacharach remains supportive of the cooling and refrigeration industries through the expansion of R-514A to its library of refrigerant gasses and providing more gasses to be found and observed while aiding in the use of refrigerants less harmful to the environment.
With over 200 locations in 23 states, each Baker Distributing Sales Center is staffed by the most knowledgeable and customer service oriented people in the industry. With a complete inventory of HVAC/R products and technical assistance, Baker Distributing’s Sales Centers can provide you with the products and information you need to make your job more efficient. For more information, visit www.bakerdist.com or download the Baker Assist App on your mobile devices such as tablets, laptops, and cellphones via Google Play and Apple App Store.